We have to be able to understand how to put the puzzle pieces together in jazz. How can you expect to do this without understanding where they go? Well, you can’t! This is why Diatonic Harmony is so important. Diatonic Harmony is the road map to explain how chords and progressions fit together. Without learning this you will be completely lost as we continue to progress. Diatonic Harmony is the relationship of chords to a scale and certain key. Pretty easy once you get into it! Leave your questions in the comments section and I’ll be happy to help.
- 1. Chords are built from scales.
- 2. 7 different diatonic chords per scale.
- 3. Chords change depending on the scale. Start with your major scale and diatonic chords.
- 4. Practice your diatonic chords in all keys, LH alone, RH alone, Hands together.
- 5. 2 beats per chord, move up and down the chords.
Why You Need Diatonic Harmony
Jazz Piano School Ep 28 : Why You Need Diatonic Harmony
If You Enjoyed This Episode…
Please share it! All you have to do is click on one of the buttons below.
Also if you wouldn’t mind leaving a review in itunes. It only takes a second to help the show increase in the rankings!
Click Here To Rate in itunes
Thank you for all your support!