- MP3 Audio51 MB
So, Ballads can be extremely difficult. More so than fast tunes because they are SO slow! You are much more vulnerable to stand out with your mistakes and insecure playing.
Luckily, this podcast will help you gain the confidence to play ballads with a group, comp for singers or other instruments playing the melody, and improvise like a pro yourself.
1. Practice melody alone with RH as beautiful and simple as possible. Add LH second
2. Comping – Use all register structures from comping podcasts. Think support, simplicity, and be conscious of where the melody is. Use counter-melody notes to connect voicings.
3. Improvisation – Practice simple, in the pocket, melodies first. B – Add LH to simple melodies with RH
4. Improvisation Outside Pocket – Let your RH creates phases outside the pocket. Float melodic improv over the bass and drums and your LH support.
5. Have conversation of RH and LH while improvising. LH should support the breaths the RH takes.
If you have questions or suggestions for a podcast lesson you would like us to do, please leave them in the comments down below.
If you enjoyed this episode…
Please share it!
All you have to do is click on one of the social media buttons at the top of this page.
Also, if you enjoy all the free jazz piano education we release on a weekly basis you can show your support by giving the podcast a 5 star rating in itunes.
Once you get to itunes simple click on the 5 stars to the left to give a rating.
We appreciate your support!